VisaLex Blog

US Immigration Blog

Read our blog to stay updated on the matter of US immigration as well as learn more about the VisaLex platform.

The E-2 Visa: Living and Working in the U.S. through Investment


  Say you’re a successful business owner. You want to live in the U.S. and do what you do best: own and operate a business. You have the investment funds and a passport from a country like Italy, the United Kingdom, Spain, Canada, or Germany. The E-2 visa might be right for you. The E-2… Read More

Obtaining Work Authorization in the U.S.

Work Authorization

With certain U.S. immigration status or pending applications, you can work in the U.S. There are certain visas that allow the visa holder to work within limited circumstances, or when pursuing a green card through adjustment of status the green card applicant can obtain temporary work authorization before the green card is approved. However, you… Read More

Green Card for a foreign relative

Green Card

If you have a relative in the U.S. who is already a green card holder (permanent resident) or U.S. Citizen, they may be able to petition for your permanent residency. To accomplish this, you need to determine your relationship to the U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and get prepared to possibly wait a long, long… Read More

H-1B Visas for Specialty Occupations


One of the most popular and controversial U.S. visas is the H-1B visa for aliens seeking temporary employment in specialty occupation. This visa is common for foreign students ending their studies at a U.S. university, and is a common stepping stone to permanent residency and, eventually, U.S. citizenship. The Basic Requirements for H-1B Visas The… Read More

Are you seeking asylum in the United States?


What is asylum? A foreign citizen who is residing in the United States and who has suffered persecution in his home country, or fears that he will suffer persecution due to his race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion may be eligible to seek asylum in the United States.  While… Read More

What does a National Interest Waiver require?


National Interest Waiver for EB-2 category The National Interest Waiver (NIW) is a waiver of the labor certification requirement for an employment-based green card under category 2 (EB-2).  Generally, an EB-2 category applicant must provide that he is eligible for the category itself and additionally obtain a labor certification through the Department of Labor, or… Read More

F-1 Student Visa: for students who seek academic enrollment

F-1 Visa

What is an F-1 status? Foreign students who wish to study in the United States may be eligible to obtain an F-1 category nonimmigrant status.  An F-1 status is intended for students who wish to enroll in an academic program (versus a vocational one).  Academic schools are the more traditional theory-teaching schools, while vocational schools… Read More

What are specific managerial and executive duties for the L-1A visa?

L-1 Visa

The L-1A visa, generally The L-1A nonimmigrant visa is a temporary visa that allows a United States employer to transfer an executive or manager from one of its foreign-located offices to the United States.  While this visa must be sponsored by the employer, the employee carries the burden of establishing certain criteria for him to… Read More

What does an EB-1A eligible candidate look like?


EB-1A Overview The EB-1A is a sub-category to the EB-1 employment-based green card immigration category.  An individual who applies for an EB-1A falls in a unique scenario, as the EB-1A sub-category allows the individual to self-petition unlike other employment-based green cards, and does not require that he has an offer of employment.  Moreover, an EB-1A… Read More